Thursday, January 13, 2011

Outliers Chapter 6

Currently in Gifted and Talented we are reading the book "Outliers" and this blog post will be about "Outliers" not the whole book though, merely chapter six. Chapter six in a nutshell is about the south and how there is an unkown code that is called "culture of honor." A culture of honor is to have self respect for yourself while to make sure others have self respect for you as well. A culture of honor having the same attitudes to certain subjects. A culture of honor could be dieing with respect. A culture of honor is better explained in the following link about culture of honor in the South.

In the early 1990's two psychologists, Dov Cohen and Richard Nisbett, began an expirement to test the culture of honor. For their expirement they gathered a bunch of young men, and insulted them. They then evaluated their reactions throughout the expirement. After insulted the young men walked down a narrow hallway one by one before and after insulted. Coming from the other direction was a man who was six three two hundred and fifty pounds. Before the southerners were insulted they stopped nine feet before the other man, but after insulted they stopped under two feet ahead. They were obviously looking for a fight. The northerners stopped at the same distance before and after insulted, five feet.

I believe cultural legacy is when you feel the need to follow in your ancestors footsteps. To be somewhat like them in one way or another, to keep the same attitude and keep your family name good. I personally think my cultural legacy would be to be kind, but yet assertive and not a pushover. To obtain a well paying job, support a family, and protect them. To work diligently and be committed to everything I pursue. This, I believe is my cultural legacy, and will do my best to follow it. This is my cultural legacy from my observations of my ancestors that I know from my mother's and father's family. In my opinion, they fit this description.

No comments:

Post a Comment